Tuesday, September 23, 2008

First Friday Art Walk - Sep' 08








It was a nice drizzling evening on West Broad street right in my back yard that I realized Richmond wasn't as dead as I was thinking. Music, art and people hustling with excitement to explore what the city's and traveling artists had to offer. Some of the exhibits were put up in peoples houses. Even though overall taste wasn't exactly chique, it still brought the positive vibe of the city into lime light. There was innovation and a variety of art form. Lamps, ornements, glowing air bubbles, paintings, photography, music bands, food you name it and it was all there. It was definetly something I want to get back to. Of course we bumped into familiar faces and got reviews about exhibits ahead.
My favorite work was by Nick Kuszyk.


You can find more of the artist work on www.rrobots.com
I also liked this band and their music, though I didn't understand a word.


This whole experience reminded me of Mumbai. I would religiously every saturday visit Jahangir Art Gallery and National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA) in the Fort area of South Bombay. This is also called Kala Ghoda or the Art District of Mumbai. The annual Kala Ghoda Festival is the best show. It brings the vibe of being a Mumbaikar to life. It is a cultural experience for sure.

No comments: